Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Meth lab possible cause of house fire

A fire at a house on Scott Street in La Porte may have been caused by a person attempting to make meth, according to the La Porte Police Department.

La Porte Police and Fire were called to a house fire at 1408 Scott Street just before 2 a.m. Friday.

When they arrived, the house was fully engulfed in flames.

Everyone exited the home safely.

The resident told police she let an acquaintance who was homeless spend the night.

She said she saw him carry her daughter's mattress into the bathroom. The mattress was on fire and he was trying to put it out with water.

The resident's two children were not home. They were spending the night with another family member.

Police say the investigation indicates materials used to manufacture meth were inside the home and meth was being made inside a plastic bottle when the mattress caught fire.

The case remains under investigation.

Share this article: