National Doughnut Day
It's National Doughnut Day!!
Every year on the first Friday in June, bakeries and doughnut shops around the country celebrate this breakfast classic.
It dates all the way back to 1917. The day actually honors the Salvation Army Lassies. They were a group of women who served doughnuts to soldiers during World War One.
You can celebrate locally with some freebies!
- Dunkin Donuts is offering a free classic doughnut with any beverage purchase.
- Martin's is offering the choice of one free doughnut or a dollar off a dozen.
- Krispy Kreme is handing out one free doughnut - no purchase necessary.
- Rise-N-Roll in Middlebury is having a whole National Doughnut Day party. They will begin handing out doughnuts at 7 am.
- Cops and Donuts is giving out free doughtnuts all day long at their downtown South Bend Dainty Maid Precinct. They will also be handing out donuts for the Salvation Army at the Kroc Center and along the Colfax Bridge during the Best Week Ever fireworks tonight at 9:45 pm.