Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Nearly 50 exposed to carbon monoxide at Atlanta school

ATLANTA -- A HAZMAT situation in Atlanta sent teachers and students rushing out of their elementary school Monday.

Fire officials say 49 teachers and students at Finch Elementary School got sick after being exposed to extremely high levels of carbon monoxide.

Some got headaches, others were dizzy and vomiting.

Firefighters said the levels in the school were the highest the department has ever detected in the city of Atlanta.

Officials said the levels were high enough that the toxic gas could be lethal, but fortunately all of the victims' conditions were mild to moderate.

 

Share this article: