Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

New information on the victims of South Bend's double shooting

SOUTH BEND, Ind.-- On Wednesday night Alexis Carter got a phone call from her mother, asking if she was alright.

 

"She was like, where you at?" said Carter. "I guess she was scared."



Carter lives just down the street from the crime scene from Wednesday night's double shooting. She said she didn't hear anything or even know about the shooting until she heard from her mom.



"She called me at like 11:30 and she asked me if I had heard anything about the house that two people got shot in."


At 8:45 p.m. police responded to the corner of Adams and Vassar to investigate a shooting. When they got there, they found Alejandro Tinoco and Jazmin Conlee in critical condition from gunshot wounds. Both are just 19-years-old.



Tinoco graduated from Clay High School last year and Conlee is a senior at Clay.



Students at Clay said they were shocked to hear about the victims.



"I was shocked that it'd happen to someone like him," said Leah King, a Junior at Clay High School. "I mean he was a really good friend. I mean i didn't' really know him that well, but I've heard that he was a really good person and stuff and I'm just shocked that it would happen to him."



Shock and concern seemed to be the sentiments shared by everyone who knew Tinoco and Conlee



On Wednesday and Thursday, their Facebook pages lit up with supportive messages from friends and acquaintances.


"I mean he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time," said King.  


And while the nightmare is far from over for the victims' families, Carter now fears for her own childrens' safety.


"My kids can't even play outside without people getting shot at. And all of this violence, it's scary. It is."

Share this article: