Oil on rags used to clean up deep fryer spark garage fire
Posted: Dec 2, 2011 10:32 AM EST | Updated: Nov 6, 2014 3:03 PM EST
ST JOSEPH COUNTY, Ind - A homeowner cleaning up oil from his deep fryer accidentally sparked a garage fire on South Bend’s Southwest Central side early Friday morning.
The Fire Chief said the man threw balled up rags into a can, and when the oil heated up, a chemical reaction sparked the fire.
Neighbors told ABC 57 the homeowner woke up when his mom’s dog started barking out the window and the man was able to call 911 in time for crews to put the flames out quickly.
Neighbors said they were worried because the detached garage is just seven feet from the home, located on the 1900 block of Lucinda Street.
The garage has been boarded up, and the Chief said the total damage looks to be around $10,000.
Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!