Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Porch fire ignites from discarded cigarette

A small porch fire ignited early Sunday morning causing one person to go to the hospital.

The fire happened in the 23000 block of Wilshire Boulevard in Elkhart.

Police say a man was smoking a cigarette when he discarded it and accidentally lit a grill propane tank on fire.

One man who was present at the time of the fire was transported to Memorial Hospital for burns. His condition is unknown.

“The fire was extinguished in about 15 minutes. The occupant was burned and was taken to South Bend Memorial Hospital and the other occupant is okay.” said Kevin Doyle, Deputy Chief of Concord Township Fire.

Fire officials believe the tank was not all the way shut off.
Share this article: