Red Cross sets up shelter for fire victims

BUCHANAN, Mich. — Thirty-five people are without a home after a grease fire burned through the Parkside Terrace Apartment Complex.

The fire broke out just before 7 p.m. Wednesday in Buchanan, Michigan. And firefighters were still on the scene Thursday morning putting out hot spots.

Some of those residents displaced by the fire spent the night at a Red Cross shelter set up at Buchanan High School.

The shelter manager said they will give the victims food, shelter and water for a few days. And they will provide any other immediate needs.

Red Cross workers tell ABC57 that they talked to victims and physically they're all doing alright.

"The shelter will be open," said Thomas Westegate. "We'll receive out clients and our caseworkers will work with them to find out what their needs are."

Right now, there is no word on whether or not victims will get into their homes anytime soon.

Firefighters say they plan to board the building up or tear it down later Thursday.


Share this article:
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?