Schmucker Middle School students ingest edibles, prompting emergency response

NOW: Schmucker Middle School students ingest edibles, prompting emergency response

ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Ind. - Four students at Schmucker Middle School were taken to the hospital Thursday afternoon after ingesting THC edibles at school, according to PHM officials.

Emergency crews were called around 12:30 p.m. out of an abundance of caution and the students were taken to the hospital to be evaluated.

PHM said the students were “Alert, coherent, and communicating,” while being taken to the hospital for precautionary measures.

A line of parents waiting to pick their middle schoolers up just before 4 o’clock Thursday evening.

We caught up with a few while they waited, many told us they were fearful to hear the news over social media.

One mother said she called the school for more information, before an email was sent out this afternoon from Principal Sarah Smith, letting her know if their student was involved, they would’ve already be notified

"It is scary, and it is very unfortunate.. that this is even a situation that has to be shared in our community.. that its middle school 6th.. 7th.. and 8th graders so it's very sad they even have their hands on this and its being passed around my daughter.. students.. and her friends,” she said.

Parents and the corporation are using the scare to teach a lesson.

PHM said the students will be disciplined according to their handbook, which also states the school offers random drug testing for students involved in extra-circulars and those whose parents sign a form.

Share this article: