Please note: Over-the-air viewers in South Bend need to re-scan televisions on Friday, October 18 to continue to receive ABC57, MyMichiana, Telemundo, MeTV, Decades, Movies!, Start TV and ThisTV and most other local channels in addition to WBND/WMYS. Those viewers unable to currently receive these stations over-the-air should see improved reception on October 18. Cable and satellite viewers are not impacted.

Further information on the re-scan can be found at:

https://www.abc57.com/news/antenna-viewers-plan-to-rescan-your-television-on-october-18

Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Several pools fail health department inspections

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- There are countless rules at the pool, but a big danger is not above ground, it’s what's lurking in the water; the chemicals and bacteria that St. Joseph County inspectors check for daily.
 
Kevin Harrington with the St. Joseph County Health Department says plunging into a pool with too much chlorine, is not a good idea.

"It can start affecting your kidneys, also damage your eyes, your hair, your clothing, things like that."

A pool that does not have enough chlorine can be just as dangerous, it is a breeding ground for deadly bacteria like Ecoli.
 
While Potawatomi Park passed the tests. ABC 57 uncovered inspections that show several apartment complexes that did not pass and the health department temporarily shut them down.
 
According to Harrington, when it comes to bacteria like Ecoli, children and the elderly are most at risk.

"There are a number of factors that bring Ecoli into the pool: dirt, debris, dust, people getting in without showering." explained Harrington.

Not to mention the little swimmers who occasionally go to the bathroom in the pool. 

"This is where it gets graphic but the damage done to the water and the risk level depends on if it is solid or non-solid," said Harrington.
 
Experts say remember to be cautious and courteous when using public pools.

"If you are someone visiting a pool, shower before you get in and if you have had diarrhea with in the past two weeks you shall not use the pool because you can shed it and infect others."
 
Here are a few of the apartment complexes that had their pools closed temporarily because of what inspectors found: Georgetown Apartments, Clover Village, and Edison Point.  Their issues and violations have been resolved and they have reopened.
 
If you have questions or concerns about a pool that you frequent, reach out to the St. Joeseph County Health Department.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close

0 Comments

Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?