SJCP releases name of 69-year-old man shot by police Tuesday

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- The St. Joseph County Police released the name of the 69-year-old man who was killed during an altercation with police on Tuesday. John Charles Neiswender of South Bend died in the hospital on June 11 after brandishing a knife and threatening at least one person near the East Race and LaSalle Street.

“I want to first thank the public and media for their patience as our County and Mishawaka investigators gather all evidence, wait for autopsy, toxicology, and ballistics test results and reports, and finalize their own reports for the County Prosecutor’s Office," said Sheriff Bill Redman. "We understand the public desire to have information and answers. However, to maintain the integrity of the investigation and ensure only fully accurate and proven facts are publicly released, we will not release specific details about the actions of the officers or the suspect until the investigation is complete and has been reviewed by the County Prosecutor’s Office."

"We cannot provide an estimated timeline for how long the investigative process may require," Redman continued. "There will be a full release to the media and public of all legally releasable information and evidence, including audio of dispatch calls, police radio traffic, and all body camera and other video at the appropriate time following the investigation.”

Neiswender was arrested for intimidation with a weapon last August. 

South Bend Mayor James Mueller released the following statement about the incident:

"My heart goes out to John Neiswender’s family and loved ones as we mourn this tragic loss in our community. My thoughts and prayers are also with our first responders and their families, as well as other members of our City team and neighbors who experienced this traumatizing event.

We are committed to a full, transparent investigation and any needed improvements to our emergency response going forward, and I ask for the community’s patience as we wait for more information from Sheriff Redman and his investigation team."

Share this article: