Third Michigan resident dies from vaping-related lung injury
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services says a third Michigan resident has died as a result of a vaping related lung injury.
The man died on December 19, according to officials.
“The tragic death of yet another Michigan resident is a reminder that this outbreak continues,” said Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, chief medical executive and chief deputy for health for MDHHS. “We extend our deepest condolences to the family. I urge people not to use THC-containing e-cigarettes or vaping products until the specific cause of these vaping-related severe lung injuries being reported nationwide has been identified. To help with this investigation, we remind health care providers to report patients who may have this condition to their local health department.”
Since August 2019, there have been 65 confirmed and probable vaping-related injury cases in Michigan's Lower Peninsula involving patients between 15 and 67 years old.
E-cigarette and/or vaping users should seek medical attention if they develop symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain, cough, fever and/or nausea and vomiting.
The following free help is available for individuals who are interested in quitting tobacco:
- Call 800-QUIT-NOW (800-784-8669) for adults.
- MyLifeMyQuit for youth under 18 years of age.
More information is available on the MDHHS website.