Three officers injured trying to save 3-year-old from house fire

ANGOLA, Ind. -- Three officers from three different agencies were injured early Thursday morning attempting to save a 3-year-old boy from a house fire, according to Indiana State Police.

Troopers from the Fort Wayne and Toll Road posts responded to the home in the 4200 block of W 100 N around 12:24 a.m. after learning a 3-year-old boy was inside the home, which was on fire.

The troopers arrived separately, one at 12:25 a.m. and one at 12:26 a.m., and found at least 2 adult males outside the home.

One said his son was inside the home in his bedroom.

The troopers, an Angola City Police officer and a Steuben County sheriff's deputy entered the home to try to save the 3-year-old.

Because of the intense heat and smoke, they were unable to find the boy.

At 12:40 a.m., Angola Fire Department firefighters found the boy alive and unconscious in another part of the home. He was transported to a hospital in Fort Wayne.

The Toll Road trooper was treated at Cameron Hospital in Angola for smoke inhalation and was released at just after 6:00 a.m. The Angola officer was also treated and released from Cameron for smoke inhalation and laceration to his hand.  

The Steuben County sheriff's deputy who was injured was initially taken to Cameron, but was then transferred to a Fort Wayne hospital for smoke inhalation.

This fire is currently under investigation by the Indiana State Police, the Angola Fire Department and the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Share this article: