Woman and dog die in Berrien Springs home, high levels of carbon monoxide found

Berrien Springs Oronoko Fire Officials confirm that an elderly woman and her dog were found dead in their home at 4990 Appain Way on Sunday night. 

Because there were multiple deaths,  which indicated the deaths were unnatural, officials began an investigation.

Upon entry of the home, the fire department detected cyanide gas, further investigation showed high levels of carbon monoxide in the home.

While we don’t yet know what the CO levels were at the time of the woman's death or when she was found, Hazmat tested the levels about four hours after the gas was shut off.

Captain Rockey Adams, the Emergency Management Coordinator for Berrien County, says the meters read around 1,000 parts per million. The lethal amount is around 1,200 parts per million.

Captain Adams says in the coming days the medical examiner will work to determine an official cause of death and what the CO level was in the home at that time.

The fire department says there is no danger to neighbors while they work to get rid of the carbon monoxide.

Share this article:
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?