Working for you: How to get free tax help in Michiana

Let's face it. We're not all accountants. So when it comes to filing our taxes, we could use all the help we can get.

There are two local organizations here offering to sit down with you and go over your taxes for no charge.

The United Way has The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program for residents of St. Joseph, Elkhart, Kosciusko, LaPorte and Marshall counties.

 The only major requirement is that your household make less than $60,000 a year.

Also to qualify for their free service, you must not be someone who files with rental income, farm income, adoption credits or income from other states. You can find out how to sign up by visiting their website.

Notre Dame and St. Mary's are also offering free tax help through their annual TAP program. Accounting students are volunteering their time to help you out. The max income you can make for assistance is $42,000. You can find more info about the program and its history on their website.

Tax season ends April 18.

Share this article: