9/11 memorial services and ceremonies around Michiana
2019 marks 18 years since nearly 3,000 people were killed when hijacked planes crashed into the trade center, the Pentagon and a field near Shanksville on September 11, 2001.
Memorials and ceremonies are scheduled around Michiana on Wednesday in remembrance of the lives lost and to honor first responders.
State buildings in both Indiana and Michigan will fly their flags at half-staff. Both governors are asking businesses and residents statewide to lower their own flags as well.
The South Shore Line is offering free rides for first responders to show appreciation for their service to the country. All active-duty first responders may ride free of charge from September 11 through September 15 with valid identification.
- Elkhart Mayor Tim Neese will host a remembrance ceremony honoring public safety heroes at 9 a.m. at Elkhart City Hall.
- The Ruthmere Museum in Elkhart is offering veterans free admission on Wednesday in observance of 9/11. All visitors will receive a free American flag with their tour as well.
- ArtWalk in downtown Elkhart will honor 9/11 with visual representations of memories from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Wednesday.
- The community of Buchanan is hosting a 9/11 remembrance service at Buchanan Common on Wednesday starting at 7 p.m.
- The Kosciusko 9-11 Committee is hosting a memorial service at Center Lake Pavilion in Warsaw from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesday.
- The Salvation Army, the Guardian Riders and the Michigan City Fire Department are hosting a 9/11 Remembrance Program and Stair Climb on Wednesday at the Michigan City Elston YMCA starting at 7:30 a.m. CDT.
St. Joseph County
- The South Bend Fire Department, along with Clay Fire Territory, Mishawaka Fire Department, Saint Joseph and South Bend Police departments, will host a Patriot Day Remembrance Ceremony at 9 a.m. at the 9/11 Freedom Memorial in St. Patrick’s County Park.
- March to the Memorial is a 9/11 South Bend memorial walk that takes participants from the Erskine Plaza Menards parking lot to St. Patrick’s County Park for a total of 21 miles. The walk starts Wednesday at 9 a.m. Click here to learn more.
- The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9820 is hosting a 9/11 Post Everlasting Service at 4829 W. Linden from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Wednesday.
- First responders, active-duty and military veterans may attend the South Bend Cubs game on Wednesday free of charge with a valid idea. First pitch is at 7:05 p.m.
- Air Force musicians will perform at the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday. The family-friendly show has free admission and it is open to the public, but tickets are required.