Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Electrical wiring sparks fire in South Bend home

SOUTH BEND, Ind. – Three people escaped their South Bend home after they saw smoke in the basement and called 911 early Monday morning.

The fire started around 2 a.m. on the 800 block of West Colfax, just around the corner form Fire Station 2.

The Battalion Chief, Al Kirsits, said it looks like it was an accidental fire from electrical wiring running through the walls.

  “There was heavy smoke to the entire house. They had to open up quite a bit of walls and use 200 to 300 gallons of water, so there was a bit of a mess. We cleaned it up, but the people aren’t going to be able to live here for awhile,” said Kirsits.

Kirsits said with winter being the busiest season for fires, it is important to be extra cautious.

“If you hear a noise in your furnace, you have to be careful with any appliance, heaters and space heaters, plugged into electrical outlets,” said Kirsits. “This is the time we use those things inside and we should make sure they are in good working condition, and make sure the electrical wiring is up to code.”

No one was hurt, but one woman was coughing from the smoke and was treated by medics at the scene.


Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?


Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?