Elkhart County reports first COVID-19 death
Elkhart County has reported its first death from COVID-19, according to the Elkhart County Department of Emergency Management.
The 80-year-old patient who died had several other medical conditions.
He died at an Elkhart County hospital.
Indiana: 2,159 cases, 49 deaths
- Elkhart Co.: 20 cases, 1 death
- Fulton Co.: 1 case
- Kosciusko Co.: 5 cases
- La Grange Co.: 2 cases
- LaPorte Co.: 8 cases
- Marshall Co.: 3 cases
- St. Joseph Co.: 49 cases, 1 death (not all St. Joseph cases are included in state total)
- Starke Co.: 1 case
The best way to protect yourself from any respiratory illness, including COVID-19, is to:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 60% or higher alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Practice social distancing of six feet or greater (no group functions such as book clubs, meetings, and or congregations of 10 or more)
- Stay home unless you need to go somewhere.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash and then wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.