Elkhart Fire Department responded to structure fire on Grant Street Wednesday night

ELKHART COUNTY, Ind. - The Elkhart Fire Department was called to a structure fire at 843 and 845 Grant Street on Wednesday night. 

Upon arriving on scene, the crews found smoke billowing from above the roofline.  

After evacuating the occupants, they pulled down the ceiling and found that the fire had burned through the wooden roof trusses and insulation.

The fire was no longer active upon arrival. However, the crews believe it had been burning for approximately three to six hours before one of the occupants smelled smoke. 

Luckily, no one was injured in the blaze. 

Officials say the fire appeared to be caused by a wiring failure in the attic. 

Share this article: