Firefighters investigate what sparked fire in Goodwill compactor

An investigation is underway to see what started a compactor fire at a local Goodwill.

South Bend firefighters arrived to the store on Western Avenue around 11 a.m. on Friday.

They found the large container burning very close to the building.

Their first move was to get some distance between the store and the container.

“In order to prevent it from going right to the building, we used a wench from our rescue squad to wench it away from the building,” said Mark Catanzarite with the South Bend Fire Department.

Firefighters also had to use special foam to put out the fire. They used the foam because there was no way of telling exactly what was inside the container.

Share this article: