Goshen task force addressing homeless encampments on public property
GOSHEN, Ind.—The City of Goshen said Wednesday that a task force is working on a plan to remove the current homeless encampments on public property by May 27.
The City’s plan has set a May 27 deadline, at which time all those who are camping on public property will have to relocate.
Mayor Jeremy Stutsman created the task force, which is comprised of three city staff members, local residents and business owners, and representatives from Oaklawn, The Window, Goshen Interfaith Hospitality Network, the Goshen Chamber of Commerce and NIPSCO.
According to estimates by the City, about 50 people are camping along the Millrace Canal and an additional 20 people are camping in other public areas. The Goshen Police Department has received multiple complaints over the last month about tents and campfires as well as public intoxication in the area, the City said.
Camping, campfires and alcohol on city property is prohibited by City ordinances.
The City is working with the Goshen Coalition of the Homeless to assess the needs and assist campers in finding temporary shelter and other services.
City of Goshen staff members will notify those experiencing homelessness of their deadline.
According to the City, if campers’ property remains on site after the deadline, the City will remove it and keep it in storage for a maximum of 90 days.