Governor Whitmer announces plan for the rollout of booster shots in Michigan

LANSING, Mich. -- Governor Gretchen Whitmer issued an Executive Directive order on Wednesday that outlines the state’s plan for rolling out COVID-19 booster shots.

Governor Whitmer wants state departments and agencies to begin preparing for vaccine rollout procedures as the Biden Administration previously approved offering a third shot to those who are fully vaccinated on September 20.

The plan for Michigan is to prioritize residents in nursing homes and adult foster care to be the first people to have guaranteed access to a COVID-19 booster shot.

“We know that this virus still disproportionately affects older Michiganders, which is why I’m also prioritizing booster shots for residents in nursing homes and long-term care facilities. Let’s continue to put the health and safety of Michiganders first, so we can keep our economic jumpstart moving full speed ahead,” said Governor Whitmer.

In accordance with an announcement made by the CDC on August 18, any fully vaccinated American who is 8 months past the date of their second COVID-19 vaccination will be eligible for a booster shot.

“Vaccine providers across the state are actively preparing to administer booster shots to Michiganders once ACIP makes its recommendation. Available data shows a decrease in protection over time and a booster dose may be needed to better fight the virus, especially as it continues to evolve into more aggressive variants. For those who have not received their first dose, I urge you to do so as soon as possible, said Elizabeth Hertel, Director at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

For more information on the COVID-19 vaccine and the latest updates on the Coronavirus in Michigan, visit here.

Share this article:
 
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?