Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Habitat for Humanity Women Build project underway

MISHAWAKA, Ind.-- Construction is underway in Mishawaka for the 2020 Women Build through Habitat for Humanity.

Construction began Tuesday, July 7th for the 20th Women Build in Saint Joseph County.

The Women Build is one of the many facets of Habitat where women are the main fundraisers and volunteers for a specific project.

This year, the 2020 build recipient is Kia Luckey and her 3 sweet girls.

Luckey had a friend tell her about Habitat for Humanity and shortly afterward, Luckey submitted an application.

Once she was chosen the home was not just given to her.

Rather, Luckey is pivotal part of each step in the process.

The recipient of any Habitat for Humanity home has to put in 250 “sweat” hours as well as paying a mortgage every month.

Habitat for Humanity also provides services to help their recipients prepare for their future as a homeowner, like financial planning.

This specific build in Mishawaka is hoping to be finished by the end of the summer.

The organization is constantly looking for volunteers for not only this specific Women Build but other builds and activities as well.

You can go to www.hfhsjc.org to find your own volunteering opportunities as well as applications to apply for your own opportunities.

Due to the current coronavirus conditions, the organization has everyone wear masks and maintain social distancing whenever possible.

There are also experienced carpenters and staff on site to help volunteers learn the ropes and make this a long standing home.

The Fields of Highland neighborhood houses several Habitat and Carter homes.

The neighborhood is projected to ultimately hold 76 homes with 60% of them being Habitat for Humanity homes and the other 40% being regularly marketed homes.

Share this article: