How will Rep. Jackie Walorski's seat be filled?

NOW: How will Rep. Jackie Walorski’s seat be filled?


The tragic loss of US Rep. Jackie Walorski has many people now asking what happens now? How is a sitting member of congress replaced?

The constitution and Indiana law dictate a special election must be called by Governor Eric Holcomb.

When the special election happen depends on timing.

"For Indiana the set rule is for if we are more than 74 days out from an election, the general election, there has to be a special election," said Chad Kinsella of Ball State University.

There are 96 days until the November 8th election, so there will likely be a special election to pick a replacement.

It is possible there could be two elections for the Second District on November 8th. One to finish out Walorski's current term, and the other for the new congressional term that starts in January.

Walorski was set to face off against Democrat Paul Steury and Libertarian William Henry in November.

Share this article:
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?