Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Local organization partners with South Bend Fire Department for fire prevention week

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -

Lindsey O'Brien Kesling was 22-years-old when she died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in 2010.  Six years later, the organization created in her memory to raise awareness of the poisoning, has partnered with the South Bend Fire Department for Fire Prevention Week.

Julie Schroeder is a volunteer with the Lindsey O'Brien Kesling Wishing Tree Foundation, and says they hope that detectors are in all homes in Indiana. 

The L.O.K. foundation was one of the several organizations at the fire department's kick off event for prevention week on Sunday.  The event marks the 145th anniversary of the Great Chicago Fire, a historical moment that changed the nation's fire code and safety laws.  

But there's one law that Schroeder and others believe should be changed.  They've been petitioning Indiana lawmakers to include carbon monoxide detectors as a requirement for every home.  

The foundation has been working with fire stations across the Michiana, believing that both smoke detectors and carbon monoxide testers are crucial for keeping safe. 

"If Lindsey had one in her home at that time, she would be here today," says Schroeder.

Both Schroeder and members of the South Bend Fire Department believe that by raising awareness, they will help keep people safe. 

Captain Gerard Ellis says, that's the whole purpose of the family-fun geared event. 

"We want the families to leave with the message of fire prevention," he says.

Because by staying aware, families can be prepared. 

Share this article: