Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Microwave starts fire at assisted living center

SOUTH BEND, Ind. --- The red wreath at Clay Fire is lit up with another while bulb after a fire broke out at an assisted living center.


A microwave caught fire Friday morning, sending smoke billowing out of Wood Ridge Assisted Living.


Fire officials are thanking a working sprinkler system for saving lives.


"Without a sprinkler system a fire doubles in size every thirty seconds, so without a sprinkler system it could have been a lot worse," Battalion Chief Robert Wood said.


All of the residents were safely evacuated without any major issues.

Share this article: