Red Cross aids families in Elkhart County following house fires
ELKHART, Ind. -- It's a tragic beginning to the new year for two families who both lost their homes to fire.
Monday in Elkhart and Tuesday in Goshen, Red Cross volunteers were on hand to help families with their basic needs following the house fires.
A mother and her two children were displaced by a fire in their home at North County Road 7 in Elkhart. The family was able to escape the home safely and the fire was contained to the basement. The Red Cross is providing temporary housing and food while their home is repaired.
The other family affected by fire lived in the 1800 block of Bashor Road in Goshen. Everyone escaped the fire safely, but their home was destroyed, and they lost nearly all of their personal property. The Red Cross is providing food and clothing to the family while the family stays with relatives.
Doug Farmwald, Disaster Services Coordinator, said “It is, sadly, not unusual to see a spike in the incidence of fire as the first really cold weather sets in. Increased demand on the heating and electrical systems, space heaters, and wood burning stoves all put homes at higher risk, especially if they have not been well maintained. We have been fortunate that there have been no injuries in the most recent fires. We want everyone to stay warm this winter, but it is very important to do so safely.”
If you would like to help these families, please call the Elkhart County Chapter of the Red Cross at 293-6519.