Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Three cats die in Elkhart house fire

The Elkhart Fire Department says three cats died in an early morning house fire Monday.

Crews responded to the 3500 block of E. Jackson Boulevard around 1:20 a.m. and had the fire under control in about thirty minutes.

The homeowner and her daughter were not home at the time.

Crews say smoke was coming from the rear of the home when they arrived on scene.

The Chief says the homeowner was working on a bedroom and that a pile of rags spontaneously ignited, burning a hole through the floor. 

The estimated damage to the home and contents totals $20,000. 

Three cats died in Monday's fire from smoke inhalation, but no humans were injured.
Share this article: