Please note: Over-the-air viewers in South Bend need to re-scan televisions on Friday, October 18 to continue to receive ABC57, MyMichiana, Telemundo, MeTV, Decades, Movies!, Start TV and ThisTV and most other local channels in addition to WBND/WMYS. Those viewers unable to currently receive these stations over-the-air should see improved reception on October 18. Cable and satellite viewers are not impacted.

Further information on the re-scan can be found at:

https://www.abc57.com/news/antenna-viewers-plan-to-rescan-your-television-on-october-18

Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Woman dies in house fire in Niles Township

An 82-year-old woman was found deceased in her house after she called 9-1-1 to report a fire in her home. The Niles Township Fire Department says the woman was unable to escape the fire.

Niles Township Fire Chief Gary Brovold says a 9-1-1 call was received about a fire in the 2400 block of Bond Street just after 7 a.m. Sunday.

The resident, 82-year-old Mary Ann Brothers, called 9-1-1 about the fire and the call was disconnected.

The dispatcher called her back, she answered, but the call was disconnected again.

Firefighters found Brothers and her two cats inside the home. They do not know why she was unable to escape the fire.

The fire chief says the fire appears to have been caused by a mechanical failure with a wood burning stove.

It was ruled accidental.

Chief Brovold says it's important to have heating devices such as furnaces, fireplaces, and wood burning stoves inspected at least once a year. He also says it is important to have working smoke detectors.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close

0 Comments

Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?