ABC 57 Exclusive: Mother of twins in Wilber St. accident speaks out

Only on ABC 57, the mother of the eight-year-old twins involved in the Wilber Street accident speaks out.

And she's thanking the neighbors that saved her children's lives.

She said that she had just stepped out of the SUV at one friend's house when her other friend sped off in her truck with her children in the backseat.

She was shocked to find out they were in a horrific accident but so grateful that some strangers were there to save her kids.

And now--these strangers have become dear friends.

When she first heard the news about the accident involving her kids, Montrea Wade was heartbroken.

“I’m just distraught. I’m speechless for words right now,” said the kids’ mother Montrea Wade.

Those tears turned to smiles of thanks for the strangers who helped them.

“A family I knew nothing about was there to save my children,” said Wade.

The Reyna family was there when Montrea Wade’s friend totaled a truck with her eight-year-old twins Kenneth and Ke'zia Smith inside.

“It makes me mad, because those kids didn’t have a choice of what he was doing. That was his choice,” said Adrian Reyna, who was the first person on the scene.

And his choice seriously injured her children.

Her son Kenneth got the worst of it. He was ejected and suffered a torn ACL, a broken right leg, a broken left arm, swelling on the brain, and a broken pelvic bone. He needs tubes to help him breathe and has casts and bandages over much of his body.

His sister, Ke’zia also has a shattered pelvis.

Their grandmother says she feels helpless.

“And that’s the worst part, because I can’t hug them, and I can’t hold them, and I want to when I want to hold them so bad and let them know that grandma is here, and everything is all right,” said the children’s grandmother, Lenora Wade.

That’s what the Reynas are trying to do for the Wades now. Because they were first on the scene, they say they feel connected.

“I haven’t been able to stop thinking about them kids. I think about them all day,” said Adrian Reyna.

So they put together gift baskets to give to Ke’zia and Kenneth when they visit them at Riley Hospital Wednesday.

Montrea and her mother say they just can’t stop saying thank you.

“I do thank him and his family from the bottom of my heart--because if they hadn’t, there ain’t no telling what would have happened,” said Lenora Wade.

The Reynas plan to stick around.

“They have another addition to their family now, we’ll put it that way,” said Adrian Reyna’s wife, Cari.

Montrea says Kenneth is still in a medically-induced coma, but Ke’zia is supposed to come home Wednesday—right after the Reynas give them their presents.

The Reynas also started a gofundme page for the family to help them get back on their feet. Just click this link if you’d like to donate.

Share this article:
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?