Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Couple sentenced in son's death

The parents of a 12-year-old who died of carbon monoxide poisoning were sentenced to 2 years in prison and 2 years probation, according to court records.

Both Candy Chamness and Darrick Spore pleaded guilty to reckless homicide, a class C felony.

They must serve two years in jail and two years probation.

The court will allow them to serve the two years in the Kosciusko County Jail. Chamness has the option of serving her two years in the Kosciusko County Work Release Program if she qualifies and is accepted.

June 28, 2014, Skyler Spore was found dead around 3:45 p.m. on the floor of their home at 202 West Washington Street in Syracuse.

When Syracuse Police and EMS responded to the home they found the electricity to the home had been disconnected the day before and the family had been using generators for electricity.

Court records say Darrick Spore and Chamness were using methamphetamine during the night of June 27th and during the day June 28th while the generators were running and their two children were in the home.



Share this article: