Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Dozens of volunteers exposed to hantavirus while working on a TV show

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Tx. -- Dozens of volunteers could have been exposed to the dangerous hantavirus after working on a reality TV show.

Health officials in Montgomery County, Texas say that one person has contracted the hantavirus. People can contract the disease by coming in contact with rodents or their excrement.

Twenty-nine people were exposed while helping clean out a house which was getting set to appear on the show Hoarders: Buried Alive.

Neighbors say it is sad but not exactly surprising.

The reported case comes just days after three people died of the virus.

Officials say they caught it after staying in infected cabins at Yosemite National Park.

Nearly 600 cases have been reported nationwide over the past 20 years.

No one is currently allowed in the home.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?


Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?