Father Hesburgh funeral coverage begins at 2 p.m.
Posted: Mar 4, 2015 2:32 PM EDT
ABC57 will provide live, on air and online coverage beginning at 1:45 p.m. for the funeral mass and procession to the burial site.
We will have our live newscast on ABC57 from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. with stories related to Father Hesburgh's funeral. It will also be streamed online.
Then, at 7:30 p.m., we will be live on the CW25 and on abc57.com for the Memorial Tribute.
The funeral mass will include Principal Celebrant Rev. Thomas J. O'Hara, C.S.C. Provincial Superior, United States Province of Priests and Brothers Congregation of Holy Cross.
Homilist will be Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., President of the University of Notre Dame.
After the funeral mass, the Congregation of Holy Cross, the Hesburgh family and the public will join in procession to the Holy Cross Community Cemetery for burial.
The procession will go from the Basilica of the Sacred Heart to Holy Cross Drive, down St. Mary's Road, to Holy Cross Community Cemetery.
The memorial tribute will be held at 7:30 p.m. at Purcell Pavilion and will include speeches from Father Jenkins, former President Jimmy Carter and his wife Rosalynn, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Governor Mike Pence, Senator Joe Donnelly, Lou Holtz and the following:
- William Bowen, a former president of Princeton University and a contemporary of Father Hesburgh in higher education
- Rev. Paul Doyle, C.S.C., the rector of Dillon Hall and a longtime Holy Cross brother to Father Hesburgh
- Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, the archbishop emeritus of Washington, D.C.
- Former Sen. Harris Wofford of Pennsylvania, a Notre Dame faculty member during Father Hesburgh's presidency and his legal assistant on the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights
- Martin W. Rodgers, a Notre Dame alumnus and member of the University's Board of Trustees
- Former Sen. Alan Simpson of Wyoming, who worked closely with Father Hesburgh on the immigration commission