Please note: Over-the-air viewers in South Bend need to re-scan televisions on Friday, October 18 to continue to receive ABC57, MyMichiana, Telemundo, MeTV, Decades, Movies!, Start TV and ThisTV and most other local channels in addition to WBND/WMYS. Those viewers unable to currently receive these stations over-the-air should see improved reception on October 18. Cable and satellite viewers are not impacted.

Further information on the re-scan can be found at:

https://www.abc57.com/news/antenna-viewers-plan-to-rescan-your-television-on-october-18

Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Girl burned in Oregon hospital room

Portland, Ore. -- Investigators are looking into how an 11-year-old Oregon girl caught fire at a children's hospital.

There is speculation that hand sanitizer may be to blame for her injury.

Officials say the girl was painting in her hospital room when she caught fire.

Her father told a Portland newspaper that she had recently used hand sanitizer to clean the table. He thinks the alcohol based hand sanitizer and static electricity sparked the flames.

"No, this is a really unusual event. I don't think anything like this has happened either at Dornbecher or at OHSU. In any hospital this would be an incredibly rare event," said Doctor Stacy Nicholson, Oregon Health and Science University.

That little girl is a cancer survivor.

She was undergoing treatment for an unrelated head injury when she caught fire.

She is being treated for her burns at another hospital.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close

0 Comments

Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?