Grand Jury to review evidence in fatal crash involving police officer
ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Ind. -- A grand jury will be convened to review evidence in the fatal crash on July 20 at the intersection of Kaley and Western in South Bend. The crash involved a South Bend Police officer.
Officer Justin Gorny was traveling eastbound on Western Avenue with his lights activated when his patrol vehicle struck an SUV, driven by 22-year-old Erica Flores, traveling northbound on Kaley, according to FACT.
St. Joseph County Prosecutor Ken Cotter requested the grand jury convene to review the evidence in the case including:
- The standard operating procedures of the police department
- Audio logs of radio traffic
- Video of before the crash
- Video of the crash itself
- Data from the vehicles
- Any other evidence the Grand Jury asks FACT to gather based upon their review of evidence presented to them
The grand jury will determine whether Officer Gorny's actions deviated from acceptable standards enough to be indicted for reckless homicide.