Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Breaking News

Health department warns of parasite death in Indiana

DAVIESS COUNTY, Ind. -- State health officials believe a brain-eating amoeba is to blame for a recent death in Indiana.

A water-borne parasite is being linked to a death in Daviess County. The center for disease control said it invades the brain through the nose.

It's mostly common in healthy children and young adults, with recent exposure to warm fresh water.

"In the last 10 years, I believe according to the CDC, there were about 32 cases throughout the United States out of several million people that have been in the water every day," said Geoff Stoner of the Daviess County Health Department.

When coming in contact with warm fresh water, the CDC recommends holding your nose shut. Don't put your head under water and stay away when water temps are high and levels are low.

Share this article: