Locations providing free meals for children while schools are closed
As schools close down because of COVID-19, local school districts and some restaurants have offered to provide free meals for students while schools are closed.
Elkhart County, Indiana
Concord Community Schools: The Concord Food Service Department will provide free meals to all Concord students while schools are closed. Each Tuesday and Friday beginning March 17 and continuing through at least April 13 (excluding Spring Break April 6-10), Concord employees will distribute pre-packaged meals from the parking lot at three school buildings. Meals will be distributed between 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Meals are available on a first-come, first-served basis. This is a drive-thru meal service. Parents will stay in their vehicle and employees will deliver packages of food to the vehicles. Per USDA regulations, students and a parent/guardian must be present to receive the free meals. Meals are available for pick up at the following locations:
- Concord High School, 59117 Minuteman Way, Elkhart, IN 46517
- Concord East Side Elementary, 57156 C.R. 13, Elkhart, IN 46516
- Concord West Side Elementary, 230 W. Mishawaka Road, Elkhart, IN 46517
Bacon Hill Kitchen and Pub: Now until April 13 - all kiids meals will be free for ages 0-18 between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. We also understand that with school system closures, this will deeply impact the hourly paid school employees. We will be offering 50% off during the same time for those who work in our school systems. 4000 E Bristol St, Ste 8, Elkhart, Indiana
Luxe Cafe (2012 Lincolnway E, Goshen, Indiana 46526) is offering free breakfast and/or lunch to any child pre-k-12th grade weekdays from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Goshen Community Schools have modified the schedule for delivery of student meals due to Governor Eric Holcomb's 'stay at home' order which is in effect from March 24 at 11:59 p.m. through April 7 to slow the spread of COVID-19. Because of the order, Goshen schools will only be delivering food one more day before spring break. On Wednesday, March 25, food deliver will include 5 breakfasts and 5 lunches per students. Route times on the GCS website will be adjusted to give more accurate times.
If you do not get a food delivery in your neighborhood on Wednesday, March 25 by 1:00 p.m., call the Administration Center at 574-533-8631. GCS staff will be able to communicate with the buses to let them know where meals are still needed and to make sure everyone gets food delivery before to spring break.
Fulton County, Indiana
Tippecanoe Valley School Corporation will be offering grab and go lunches (with breakfast for the following day included) starting on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at the following locations and times for students age 18 and under:
- Monday – Friday (starting Wednesday, March 18)
- Akron Elementary (Door R) 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
- Mentone Elementary (Main Entrance) 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
- Tippecanoe Valley High School (Main Entrance) 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
- New location beginning March 20 - Palestine Lake Boat Ramp Parking Lot – 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
If parents or students do not have transportation available to pick up lunches, please call and leave a message for the following food service personnel. Please leave information of student name, telephone number, address and the number of students needing meals.
- Akron Elementary – Julie Kruger 574-598-2321
- Mentone Elementary – Nikki Rutherford 574-598-2537
- Tippecanoe Valley Middle School – Trisha Wilson 574-598-2230
- Tippecanoe Valley High School – Shelly Holloway 574-598-2131
LaGrange County, Indiana
Tiffany's Restaurant (414 E. Lake St., Topeka) will offer free meals to students from Westview, Lakeland, Prairie Heights and West Noble school districts during the hours of 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Meals will be provided through April 20.
Kosciusko County, Indiana
Wawasee Community School Corporation: Wednesday, March 18, meal pickups will remain the same as the previous two days, at Milford School, North Webster School, and Syracuse School at the main entrance from 7 am-4:30 pm. Beginning Thursday, March 19, Wawasee will change days, hours, and add additional locations to limit the times families need to leave their homes. Wawasee will have meal pick up on two days, Mondays and Thursdays from 10 am -2 pm at the following locations:
- Milford School main entrance
- Milford Library parking lot
- North Webster School main entrance
- North Webster Community Center parking lot
- Syracuse School main entrance
- Bowen Center in Enchanted Hills parking lot
On Mondays, 3 breakfasts and 3 lunches per child can be picked up, and on Thursdays 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches and a Boomerang Backpack (if needed) per child can be picked up.
Marshall County, Indiana
Plymouth Community Schools: During the Plymouth Community Schools closure, sack lunches are available for pick up Monday March 16th thru Thursday March 19th at door 1 of each of the following schools from 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Any PCSC student can pick up these sack lunches from any of the available schools.
- PHS: #1 Big Red Drive, Plymouth, IN 46563
- Washington Discovery Academy 1500 Lake Ave., Plymouth, IN 46563
- Webster Elementary 1101 S. Michigan, Plymouth, IN 46563
St. Joseph County, Indiana
Penn Harris Madison: Any P-H-M student can go to any P-H-M school and pick up a sack meal. The meal pickup does not have to be at the student's home school; families can also pick up the meals from another P-H-M school. Families with students in multiple grade levels do not have to travel to each child's school to pick up the meals. The program also allows us to provide sack meals to any and all children who are with a P-H-M student (this means the other children in the group do not have to be P-H-M students). But at least one P-H-M student must be present and have their student ID number. We have State permission to hand out breakfast sack meals for the following day during the lunch pickup times. However, unfortunately at this time, we cannot give out sack lunches during the breakfast pickup because the sack lunches contain hot items. The sack meals will be provided by staff members outside the school in a drive-up format.
- Breakfast is offered 8 - 9 a.m. (M-F) at 12 sites: Bittersweet, Elm Road, Elsie Rogers, Horizon, Mary Frank, Meadow’s Edge, Walt Disney, Moran, and Madison Elementary Schools, Grissom and Schmucker Middle Schools, and Penn High School.
- Lunch is offered 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. at all 15 P-H-M schools.
School City of Mishawaka: Free lunches can be picked up at any site regardless of which school you attend. Lunches are available M-F 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. A student ID number is required for meal pick up, which is available in Family Access in Skyward under student profile, for each student meal. If an adult is picking up meals without a student present, please come prepared with the student name and ID number. Students may also pick up meals without an adult. Families can drive up to the designated location and meals will be brought out by SCM personnel.
- Beiger Elementary School
- Emmons Elementary School
- LaSalle Elementary School
- John Young Middle School
South Bend Community Schools: Students may pick up grab-and-go lunch and dinner meals from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. every day school would have otherwise been in session. Seven meal pick up sites:
- Brown Community Learning Center (737 Beale St.,South Bend, IN, 46616)
- Coquillard Elementary (1245 N Sheridan St.,South Bend, IN, 46628)
- Darden Elementary - 18645 Janet St., South Bend, IN 46637
- Harrison Elementary (3302 W Western Ave., South Bend, IN 46619)
- Lincoln Elementary (1425 E Calvert St, South Bend, IN 46613)
- Madison Elementary (832 N Lafayette Blvd, South Bend, IN 46601)
- Marquette Montessori Academy - 1818 Bergan St., South Bend, IN 46628
- Monroe Elementary (312 Donmoyer Ave, South Bend, IN 46614)
- Muessel Elementary (1021 Blaine Ave, South Bend, IN 46616)
- Nuner Fine Arts Academy - 2716 Pleasant St., South Bend, IN 46615
- Tarkington Elementary - 3414 Hepler Rd., South Bend, IN 46635
Wings Over in South Bend is providing Free Kids Meals for any K-12 child that needs it. Available every day of the week. No purchase necessary.
Our Lady of Hungary Parish and Marian High School will be providing a sack lunch daily beginning Monday, March 16 - stop by OLH School at 735 W. Calvert Street from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The lunch is free and everyone is invited
Starke County, Indiana
During our time of closure, Knox Schools will be providing free breakfast and lunch to any child ages PK-18 Monday-Friday. You may pick up the meals at Knox Middle School at Door #8. Breakfast is served from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.; lunch is served from 11 a.m. to noon. If you cannot come to KMS to pick up the meal, please call 574-772-1600 for delivery.
Berrien/ Cass County, Michigan
Benton Harbor Area Schools: Students 18 and under can pick up breakfast and lunch from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the following locations: Benton Harbor High School, Blossom Acres, Benton Manor, First Church of God Benton Heights, Countryview Apartments, Overflow Church, Ravines MHC, Berrien Homes, River Terrace.
Berrien Springs Public Schools: Free School Meals: March 16-April 5 from 11:00-12:00 Noon at the High School Circle Drive and delivery to River Estates Mobile Home Park Office
Bridgman Public Schools will be providing free breakfast and lunches to All students 18 years old and younger on Sundays and Wednesdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at three pickup locations. [more info]
- Bridgman High School Main Entrance (by the flagpole)
- Bridgman Public Library (back parking lot)
- Warren Dunes Village (Clubhouse parking lot)
Buchanan Community Schools is offering free lunch for all students 18 years of age and under during closure weeks, Monday –Friday. Each child needing lunch must be present to receive it. Menu: Lunch Pak for that day and a Breakfast Snack for the next day. Students may pick up the to-go meal at Buchanan High School (Drive Up or Walkers): 11:00 –12:30 tennis court parking lot
We will also take food out to these bus stops at these designated times:[more info]
- Ottawa School Bus Stop 11:00 -11:25
- Moccasin School Bus Stop 11:35 –12:00
- Victory Park Bus Stop 12:10-12:30
- Stark School Bus Stop 11:15-11:40
- Rynearson Apartments 11:50-12:15
- Hill’s Haven 11:00-11:30
- Riverside Estates 11:45-12:15
Cassopolis Public Schools will be providing breakfast and lunch to any child under the age of 18 or anyone 26 and under with a disability. We will be serving pre-packaged breakfast along with several days of lunch items that will be easily assembled for fresh meals until the next distribution day. Students do not need to be present at pick up and we encourage our community to help out their neighbor by picking up meals and delivering to those that cannot make the pickup time. Please bring bags or boxes for your meals to be placed into.
Distribution of food will be Wednesday, March 18th, and Friday, March 20th, at 3:30-5:00 PM. Beginning on March 23rd, we will be distributing food on Mondays and Thursdays from 3:30-5:00PM, at the same locations.
- Sam Adams South East Street Parking Lot
- Penn Township Fire Department
Coloma Community Schools will be providing meals for all students, regardless of grade level, while schools are closed. Our drivers will be delivering food to students who normally ride the bus at their normal bus stops on Mondays where they will deliver 3-days’ worth of meals and on Thursdays where they will deliver 4-days’ worth of meals. Buses will run their normal routes and the delivery times will be the same as if it were a Delayed Start so kids do not have to be out in the dark. Students need to be at their bus stop to get their meals. If your student walks to school, drives, or is a car rider/parent drop off, your student can pick up his/her meals in the Coloma Intermediate parking lot from 10:00 am -10:30 am on Mondays and Thursdays.
Dowagiac Union School District: During our school closure (March 16-April 3) we will be providing meals (breakfast and lunch) at the following stops. These are the stops that we make during the Summer Program. These meals are available for all children 18 years and under.
- 11-11:30 Twin Lakes Park, Lakeshore Road, Dowagiac
- 11:00-11:30 Riverside Apartments, 550 Riverside Drive, Dowagiac
- 11:45-12:15 Sister Lakes Community Church, 67119 M152, Dowagiac
- 11:30-12:00 Dowagiac District Library, 211 Commercial St, Dowagiac
- 12-12:30 Water Tower Park, Helena St, Dowagiac
- 12:30-1:00 Indian Hills Apartments, 400 Cleveland St, Dowagiac
- 12:30-1:00 Justus Gage Playground, 301 James St., Dowagiac
- 1:00-1:30 HS Auto Shop, 701 N. Lowe St, Dowagiac
- 1:00-1:30 ACTION Pantry, 301 Main St, Dowagiac, MI
- 1:30-2:00 Eagle’s Wood Apartments, 29509 Amerihost Dr, Dowagiac
- 1:30-2:00 Vineyard Place Apartments, 508 Vineyard Place Dr, Dowagiac
- 2:00-2:30 Walter Ward Park, 309 Thickstun, Dowagiac
Eau Claire Public Schools: Beginning Monday, we delivered meals to student bus stops. Meals were provided to all families who made requests. To request breakfast and lunch, please contact Diane Burbach at 269-593-3834.
Edwardsburg Public Schools: During the three week mandated closure, Edwardsburg Public Schools will be providing free meals to all children 18 and under. Beginning March 17 through April 3, meals can be picked up on Tuesdays and Fridays between 11:00 am and 12:30 pm by driving through one of four locations. On Tuesdays and Fridays each child will receive 3 breakfasts and 3 lunches (12 total meals per week). An EPS school bus will be at each location to hand out meals (drive through only). [more info]
- Edwardsburg Middle School, 69410 Section Street, Edwardsburg
- Eagle Lake Elementary, 23889 Avenue C, Edwardsburg
- Five Points Minland Machine, 19801 M205, Edwardsburg
- Milton Township, 32019 Bertrand St, Niles
Lakeshore Public Schools: We will be dropping off sack lunches and breakfast at 11:30am at four sites. These meals are for children 18 and under. A sack lunch and a breakfast for the following morning will be available for you to pick up. These meals are to be taken to your homes to eat. You may only pick up meals for children in your home.
- Spring Lake Mobile Home Park Community Center-11:30
- Shawnee Mobile Home Park Community Center-11:30
- Lake Pines Apartments Community Center-11:30
- Baroda Estates Mobile Home Park Office Area-11:30
Marcellus Community Schools will provide "Grab & Go" meals on weekdays, starting Wednesday, March 18th through April 3rd. The sack meal will include lunch for the day and breakfast for the next morning. Students or parents may come to Marcellus Middle/High School at the main entrance to pick up the meal and take it home between 11:30-12:00 daily.
Niles Community Schools Food Service Department will have breakfast and lunch available from March 17 to April 3. Ballard Elementary will have dinner and breakfast service available. A school bus will be onsite at all locations. Weekend meals will be available for pick up during the Friday meal service. All sites will be drive up/ pick up. Meals are available for any child under the age of 18 or anyone under the age of 26 with a disability. The meal times and locations are as follows:
- Niles YMCA, 905 N. Front St., 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Niles District Library, 620 E. Main St., 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Howard-Ellis Elementary, 2788 Mannix St., 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Northside Child Development Center, 2020 N. 5th St., 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Niles High School, 1441 Eagle St., 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Niles Administration and Education Center, One Tyler St., 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Ballard Elementary, 1601 W. Chicago Dr., 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m.
St. Joseph Public Schools are offering ‘Grab and Go’ meals (breakfast/lunch) at Lincoln School from 11:30 a.m -12:30 p.m.. Please approach from the south side of the building on Lincoln School Rd.
Watervliet Public Schools: Meals will be distributed from 8:30 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. at multiple locations. Watervliet school busses and vans will be used to distribute meals. All vehicles with food will be clearly marked. WPS personnel will be working the distribution to assure the safety and security of our students. Any person 18 years and under (26 and under for students with disabilities) will be allowed to take meals from the sites - no questions asked and no ID needed. Only one family member needs to come to a site and they will be able to take meals for all students in the household. On Fridays, up to three (3) breakfasts and three (3) lunches per student may be taken.
- Marathon Station Parking Lot: 8151 E Napier Ave, Benton Harbor
- Bainbridge Township Hall: 7315 Territorial Rd, Watervliet
- Two (2) sites at Pleasant View Estates: 7604 Red Arrow Hwy, Watervliet; one in the front and one in the back of the neighborhood
- Watervliet Fire Station: West Pleasant Street, Watervliet
- Free Methodist Church: 7737 Paw Paw Ave, Watervliet
- Paw Paw Lake Trailer Park: 5259 N. Watervliet Rd, Watervliet
- Ma & Pa’s Country Kettle: 5355 M-140, Watervliet
- River of Life Church: 8712 Red Arrow Hwy, Watervliet
- Tom Smith Tractor Sales: 69760 Red Arrow Hwy, Watervliet