Michigan unemployment agency extends call center hours
The Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency has added staff and hours to address the increase in unemployment claims due to COVID-19.
The call center hours have been extended by an hour every day and anyone in a chat queue or on hold will have their calls or chats resolved that day.
The call center hours are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays.
Previously, the center had 130 employees but an estimated 500 employees will be staffing the call center over the next few weeks.
“Thank you to Michigan’s working families for their patience as the UIA continues to provide emergency financial assistance during this unprecedented increase in unemployment claims,” said Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity Director Jeff Donofrio. “We continue to ramp up our services to make sure every eligible Michigander receives their benefits as quickly as possible and we’re asking workers to please reserve the phone lines for those who cannot go online or are having trouble with their account."
The best way to file a claim is online at www.Michigan.gov/UIA, where the process takes on average 20-25 minutes.
Workers have 28 days from their last day of work to apply for benefits. The agency assures residents every eligible worker will receive benefits.
Online Filing Schedule at Michigan.gov/UIA: Customers are encouraged to use off-peak times 8 p.m. – 8 a.m.
- Last names beginning with letters A-L: file claims on Mondays, Wednesday, Fridays.
- Last names beginning with letters M-Z: file claims on Sundays, Tuesdays, or Thursdays.
- Saturdays will be available for anyone to accommodate those who could not file during their allotted window.
Call Center Filing Schedule for 866-500-0017:
- Last names beginning with letters A-L: call on Mondays and Wednesdays between 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Last names beginning with letters M-Z: call on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Fridays between 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Saturdays between 7 a.m. – 2 p.m. are open for anyone who could not file during their allotted days.