Goshen citizens being advised how to avoid crisis scammers
GOSHEN, Ind. – The Declaration of Emergency has been lifted from the City of Goshen, but property owners are still susceptible to scammers that will use the emergency to con people.
Goshen community members are being warned to take extra precaution to avoid being scammed.
- Asking for identification from anyone trying to enter your home or business
- Never provide your own personal information before proper credentials are provided and verified
- Repairs including plumbing, electrical, heating or air conditioning work must be completed by licensed contractors
- The Better Business Bureau can be used as a resource for any residents that wish to complain about a contractor or business
- Consider multiple options and always use references
- Getting proof and verification of the credibility a contractor has as well as any insurance information required of a contractor in Indiana.
- Keep organized with documented details of times, places, dates, materials, prices and share that information with your own insurer before signing any documents/agreements
- Never pay up front for a job that entails costly repairs, deposits are paid after materials are at the job site
- Final payments should be made when you are satisfied with the work, not any time before