Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

One person dead from possible carbon monoxide poisoning on Lake Michigan

Berrien County Sheriff's Deputies have identified the three people who were in a boat on Lake Michigan when they had some kind of emergency stemming from too much carbon monoxide.

Police say 53-year-old Leonard Russian was unresponsive when they got to the boat on Sunday afternoon, and was dead when he arrived at Lakeland Saint Joseph Hospital.

The other two people who were injured from carbon monoxide poisoning have been named as 63-year-old Richard Cook, who is from Granger, and 45-year-old Lorri Mroz, from Cass County. Cook was then transferred to a hospital in Grand Rapids. Mroz was last listed in stable condition, according to police.

Several first responders who were called out to the boat were also treated at the hospital for carbon monoxide exposure.

The Berrien County Sheriff’s Department says that this is an accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

The incident remains under investigation.

Share this article: