Police identify victims involved in quadruple shooting in South Bend

NOW: Police identify victims involved in quadruple shooting in South Bend

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -New details tonight on the quadruple shooting that left one person dead and three others injured on the East side of South Bend.

We now know the name of the man who was pronounced dead on the scene. Police have identified the man as 34-year-old Edward McCurry of South Bend.

The call came in just before 4 Saturday morning.

“There’s about 15-20 gunshots Northwest of our position,” a dispatcher said, according to audio obtained from Broadcastify.

Multiple reports of shots fired and someone possibly shot at the 1200 block of Cedar Street on the city’s east side.

“I have a couple calls coming in around Cedar and Walsh, I’m going to check there for shots fired,” a dispatcher said, in Broadcastify audio.

When South Bend Police Officers arrived, they found four people shot.

“PD is on scene. It’s going to be for a male shot in the chest,” a dispatcher said, in more Broadcastify audio.

34-year-old Edward McCurry of South Bend was pronounced dead on the scene.

Three females were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

“No one wants to come home and see yellow tape,” Labrea Fields, a neighbor, said.

The violence doesn’t come as a surprise to neighbors living in the area.

“There is not enough monitoring over here. And it’s always youth hanging out and you never really see the parents,” Fields said. “I’m not surprised because were North of Madison.”

Fields used to live on the Southside of Chicago, now she lives just blocks from the shooting.

“Moving here was supposed to be a change and it’s not,” Fields said. “You see young boys who are under the age of 13 years old and they have guns. They’re shooting.”

She said crime in South Bend isn’t just the police’s problem.

“It all starts at home. Are you supervising your kids? Are they in extracurricular activities? Do they have mentors in their life who can be an example to them? These children need guidance. It’s like they’re out here lost,” Fields said.

The autopsy for McCurry is set for Monday at 10 in Fort Wayne.

As for the investigation, the Metro Homicide Unit has taken over.

No suspects have been taken into custody.

The three females injured were taken to the hospital and released, one female had to go back to the hospital because of complications.

The three women who were injured were identified as 27-year-old Courtney Patel, 31-year-old Mia Hope, and 29-year-old Nura Munroe.

Share this article: