Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

SBFD extinguishes mattress fire with minimal damage to home

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- A South Bend woman found herself in a scary situation on Wednesday after her mattress caught on fire.

It happened around 11:30 a.m. on Donald Street.

Firefighters found smoke upstairs and put out a fire in one of the bedrooms.

The Battalion Chief said that a woman was in the house at the time, but she was able to get out and call 9-1-1.

The chief said his crews were able to keep the damage to the house pretty low.

"Main thing is, from the exterior, we can see the structure is in tact, so therefore we didn't have to cut any holes in the roof. We didn't have to bust out any windows or anything. And so that's always good for the homeowner," said Battalion Chief Carl Buchanan of the South Bend Fire Department.

Neighbors said that just a few months ago, a nearby house caught on fire, with a girl trapped inside!

They are thankful no one was hurt this time around.

Share this article: