Video: Republican candidates for Elkhart County sheriff participate in debate
All three republican candidates for Elkhart County Sheriff participated in a live debate at IUSB Elkhart Center Wednesday evening.
The candidates include 35 year sheriff department veteran, Investigator Fred Mock, a 35-year veteran of the sheriff's department, Captain John Perry, a 30-year veteran of the sheriff's department, and Captain Jeff Siegel, a 26-year veteran of the sheriff's department.
- Has more than 34 years of law enforcement experience
- Currently assigned as the investigator to the corrections division
- Began law enforcement career as a corrections officer in 1983
- Graduated from the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy basic class in 1985
- Positions include Merit Deputy (Patrol Division), Detective Bureau (1994)
- 1998: Graduated from Maryland Institute of Criminal Justice - as Certified Polygraph Examiner. To date, he's conducted over 650 polygraph exams
- Promoted to Compliance Lieutenant after graduating from Tri-State University (Bachelor's Degree)
- 2005: Chosen to be the investigator for the new Corrections Center
Fred and his wife reside in Middlebury
- Has more than 30 years of service to the Elkhart County Sheriff's Department
- Started as an explorer in the Explorers' Program in 1980.
- Hired as a part-time work crew supervisor in 1983
- Full-time officer in 1984
- Jail Sergeant in 1985
- Served in the Patrol Division for almost 17 years (started in 1987)
- Currently runs the Correctional Division of the Sheriff's Department. (the largest division with over 100 employees)
- Served as Captain of the Jail from 1995-2000
- Served as Captain of Patrol from 2000-2003
- Dean's Scholar at the University of Louisville's Administrative Officer Course
- 2007 Indiana Law Enforcement Officer of the Year (issued by Indiana Disabled American Veterans)
- 1997 County Employee of the Year Award
- Member of two non-profit boards, active in youth sports as an official, league board member, coach, and mentor.
- Retired from volunteer firefighting after 22 years.
- Has worked more that 20 years with our local school system.
- Business owner, father, grandfather, and church member.
- Started his career with the LaGrange County Sheriff's Department as a Corrections Officer
- Graduated from Ball State University (Bachelor Degree in Criminal Justice)
- 1991 - became a Patrol Officer with Elkhart County Sheriff's Department
- Served as an Undercover Officer in the Elkhart County Drug Task Force.
- Served on Sheriff's Emergency Services Unit for many years and ultimately retired as the Units Commander.
- 1997 - promoted to Detective, working property crimes and crimes against children
- Graduated from the Maryland Institute of Criminal Justice as a certified and licensed Polygraph Examiner.
- Full member of the American Polygraph Association.
- SWAT Commander for 4 years
- 2004 - promoted to Detective Bureau Commander with the rank of Captain. (Current Position)
- Graduate of the Police Executive Leadership Academy
- Current President of the Elkhart County Drug Free Partnership
- Board member for The Crossing Alternative School
- Married to wife, Becky, for more than 28 years
- Two children: Hannah (20) and Jeremy (24),
- Avid outdoorsman, loves hunting fishing and four-wheeling in Michigan's Upper Peninsula