Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Vigil held for teen killed in hotel carbon monoxide poisoning

NILES, Mich. -

The community gathered to remember 13-year-old Bryan Douglas-Watts outside of the Quality Inn in Niles on Tuesday night.

The teenager was one of over a dozen people who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning when the hotel pool’s broken heater leaked deadly levels of the toxic gas.

Classmates, friends, and family members lit candles, sang and said prayers for the teenager in the parking lot of the hotel.

“Bryan he was like my best friend and I would always be with him. So now it’s really sad that he’s gone and it won’t be the same without him,” says Bryan’s cousin Maya.

Maya says she and her cousins are still in shock from the unexpected death.

 “I didn’t look up to as my cousin, I looked up to him as big brother and when he came around you knew everything was going to be ok,” says Bryan’s cousin Endyia.

Douglas-Watts was remembered by his family as funny and kind, with a smile that continues to comfort them through the tragedy.

“There’s nothing in this world we want, we just want you back in our sight and to see your smile once again,” says cousin Torianna Young.

Bryan’s visitation will be held on Wednesday, April 12 at Brown Funeral Home in Niles from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Funeral services will be held on Thursday, April 13 at 12 p.m. at Faith Apostolic Ministries, 909 N Bendix Dr, South Bend, Indiana, 46628.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?


Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?