ISIS claims responsibility for Manchester attack that killed 22, injured 59
MANCHESTER, England -- ISIS has claimed responsibility for the terror incident that killed at least 22 and injured 59 Monday night at the Manchester Arena, where pop singer Ariana Grande was performing.
Around 7 a.m. EST Tuesday, Manchester police announced they arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the case. No other details on the suspect have been made available.
Overnight, Manchester's Chief Constable said the attack was carried out by one man who carried a bomb that he detonated.
Later in the morning, President Donald Trump condemned the attack and called those behind it "evil losers."
British Prime Minister Theresa May said, "This was among the worst terrorist incidents we have ever experienced in the United Kingdom. And although it is not the first time Manchester has suffered in this way, it is the worst attack the city has experienced and the worst ever to hit the North of England."
As concertgoers -- many of them adolescent fans of the singer -- were beginning to leave the arena following Grande's closing set, an explosion rocked the area. Confusion followed as people fled in search of safety, and the sound of wailing sirens soon cut through the smoky air outside the arena.
Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said earlier, "We are currently treating this as a terrorist incident" and said the wounded are being treated at six hospitals across the Manchester area.
The incident happened shortly after Grande had left the stage, about 10:30 p.m. local time. According to eyewitnesses, Calvin Welsford, an 18-year-old concertgoer, said that he heard a "loud bang" a couple of minutes after Grande's set had finished.
"Ariana was off the stage, she'd finished her set," he told CNN. "I looked around because I heard this big bang, people screaming and crying and flooded towards the stage."
Hotels opened their doors to people who could not get home due to an area lockdown. A nearby Holiday Inn hotel became a focal point for parents searching for their children who had been at the concert.
Taxis and local people offered free rides to those affected.
Universal Music Group, parent company for Grande's record label, Republic Records, posted a statement on Facebook.
"We are deeply saddened to learn of tonight's devastating event in Manchester. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this tragedy," the post says.
Grande's publicist, Joseph Carozza, confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that the performer was safe.
"Ariana is OK. We are further investigating what happened," he said.