Mishawaka Family demanding answers after shooting sends relative to the hospital

MISHAWAKA, Ind. - 64-year-old Sandra Gonzalez was on the couch with her son watching television Thursday night, her daughter-in-law in the kitchen making food, when gunshots rang out. Three of them pierced the house wall, one pierced the back of Gonzales's head, sending her to the hospital. The family said Friday they have not been able to see Gonzales since she was taken to the hospital. They said they have "no idea" who would have done this. Investigators did not believe Gonzales was the intended target, but neighbors said this is not the first time violence has struck the area, but they want it to be the last.

"I'm scared because I don't like that happening around the house," said Alayaih Hopson, who lives down the street from where the shooting happened.

Hopson said this shooting along with the Central Park double shooting that killed a teenager have left her feeling uneasy about where she lives. Gonzales's family said at first, they did not even know what was going on.

"Next thing you know, we heard 'pow,' and I screamed 'get down,'" Billie Chipps, Gonzales's daughter-in-law said. "We heard two more shots and didn't realize my mother-in-law was shot in the back of the head."

Police said the shooting was a drive-by, but Chipps and her family said they think the shooter walked up to the house and opened fire. Police have not released any suspect information or suspect vehicle information which has led the family to demand answers.

"We have not got to speak to her (Gonzales)," Chipps said. "We don't even know what's going on."

Alayaih Hopson said she does not know the family well, but had a message for them.

"I'm sorry the people responsible were stupid enough to shoot up someone's house," she said.

Meanwhile, the Chipps is asking the community to do its part.

"Only thing I'm asking is anybody who knows anything, please come forward," Chipps said. "I can't do this. "

The Mishawaka Police Department was not available for comment on this story. They do not yet have a suspect in custody, but as of its latest press release, Gonzales is alive, stable and recovering at the hospital.

Share this article: