Power outages: Preparing for severe weather
Posted: Jun 12, 2013 12:57 PM EST | Updated: Nov 6, 2014 3:24 AM EST
Michiana is expected to have severe weather Wednesday evening. There are a few things you can do now to prepare for power outages.
- Plug in your cell phone and laptop, remember you can often use your laptop to charge your phone.
- Have flashlights ready, with extra batteries in the correct size.
- A battery operated radio and alarm clock is useful.
- Have some bottled water handy.
- Well owners should also fill an extra bucket.
- Download the ABC57 News App to stay informed when the power is out.
We also have a few tips in-case the power does go out.
- A full freezer, with the door closed should be ok for 48 hours, a half full freezer for 24 hours.
- Meats and dairy that get to about 40 degrees should be thrown out.
- Make sure your appliances, especially the stove are turned off, for when the power comes back on.
- Keep generators outside to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!