Man accused of strangling girlfriend, leading police on pursuit through woods
ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Ind.—A 41-year-old man is accused of strangling his girlfriend in their shared camper before leading police officers from multiple agencies on a pursuit through the Bendix Woods Park area on June 9, according to the probable cause affidavit.
On June 9, near the area of the 3200 block of State Road 2, a woman got into an argument with her boyfriend, Jason Gibson, 41, in their camper, at which time Gibson became angry and strangled the woman, court documents said.
Neighbors became involved and called police, but Gibson left the area before police could arrive, court documents said.
Several hours later, Gibson tried to come back to the camper and an officer observed Gibson go behind the camper and run east into a wooded area, court documents said.
The officer pursued Gibson and gave loud, verbal commands for him to stop but Gibson continued running, leading officers into a wooded area, near the barbwire fence next to Bendix Woods Park where he climbed over it and headed into the park, according to the probable cause affidavit.
Officers with the St. Joseph County Police Department, New Carlisle Police Department, the Indiana State Police, and several canine officers all searched for Gibson, who was eventually apprehended by an officer with the New Carlisle Police Department.
Gibson was booked into the St. Joseph County Jail and on June 9 where he is being held on charges including:
- Domestic battery (two counts; one count as misdemeanor and one count as felony)
- Battery resulting in bodily injury
- Resisting law enforcement
Gibson is due in court on June 14.
According to court documents, Gibson has been convicted of the following crimes outside of St. Joseph County in past years:
- Domestic battery in Marion County (2016)
- Escape as a felony in Brown County (2010)
- Battery in Hendricks County (2012)
- Battery and operating while intoxicated (felony) in Johnson County (2012)
- Operating a vehicle while intoxicated in Johnson County (2007)
- Resisting law enforcement in Marion County (2011)
- Battery resulting in serious bodily injury in Marion County (2009)
- Disorderly conduct in Marion County (2000)
- Operating a vehicle while intoxicated, endangering a person in Monroe County (2008)
- Battery resulting in bodily injury in Morgan County (2015)
- False informing in Morgan County (2009)