February floods bring several programs to resident assistance

INDIANA – Several counties throughout Indiana are still negatively impacted by February’s floods. Disaster relief programs are helping affected residents with their recovery.


FEMA has programs all over the state to assist residents with damage.

The following teams can review damage and accept application for funding of the recovery.

If a resident contacts recovery programs, take note that DSA members wear FEMA attire and carry FEMA ID’s.

For information on the Disaster Survivor Assistance, click here.


The U.S. Small Business Administration issued a statement and declaration regarding the damage caused from flooding and storms from Feb. 14th to March 4th.

SBA’s declaration protects Carroll, Clark, Elkhart, Floyd, Harrison, Jefferson, Lake, Marshall, and St. Joseph counties.

The announcement stated Physical and Economic Injury Disaster loans will be offered for those eligible.

“The U.S. Small Business Administration is strongly committed to providing Indiana residents the most effective response possible to assist businesses, homeowners and renters with federal disaster loans. Getting businesses and communities up and running after a disaster is our highest priority.” SBA officials said.

Businesses and private nonprofits can borrow up to $2 million for disaster repairs.

Applications can be filled out by clicking here.

The deadline for applications of physical property damage is July 5th. And the deadline for economic injury applications is Feb. 5th, 2019.


The Disaster Unemployment Assistance is a program that can provide assistance to those affected, as well. 

Applications for DUA must be filed by June 11th.

To qualify for DUA under Presidential Disaster Declaration, you must:

  • Must be an unemployed or self-unemployed worker whose unemployment was caused as a direct result of the major disaster declared by the President; and
  • Must be a U.S. national or a qualified alien; and
  • Must not qualify for regular unemployment insurance benefits from any state; and
  • Must have worked or were self-employed in, or were scheduled to begin work or self-employment in, one of the counties listed above; and
  • Must establish that the work or self-employment they can no longer perform was their primary source of income.
    Or to qualify for DUA are individuals that:
  • Can no longer work or perform services because of physical damage or destruction to the place of employment as a direct result of a disaster; or
  • Cannot perform work or self-employment because of an injury caused as a direct result of the disaster; or
  • Became the breadwinner or major support of a household because of the death of the head of the household; or
  • Cannot work or perform self-employment due to closure of a facility by the federal government.

Information of what one would need to apply and answers to questions can be found by clicking here

Share this article: